Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Xmass eve in Basra



Made it to Baghdad- and on to Basra in time to do my X Mass holiday shoot of the National Guard- for them- as my gift to them.
Images to follow after this post. Travel here was intense to say the least- had to take the RHINO line back to camp Victory.
It is a 20 mile ride, one of the most dangerous routes in the world-though not really anymore sure some route in Afghanistan must be worse...... 4 helicopters circled the convey ( armored buses with MRAP- mine resistant armored protective) as we drove to BIAP. No sleep at all that night, as we went from bus stop to airport and then caught the first plane out to Basra - AC130 this time. Had to wear the Kevlar gear the whole hour flight. Kind of feels like what I image being entombed would be like. My vest weight about 30 plds.
After getting acclimated and sleeping a couple hours, Phin and I kicked into high gear and got Xmas eve shoot set up.
At first some of the soldiers didn’t want to have their picture taken-but by the end most consented happily and even wore my velvet Santa Claus hat. Phin was able to get the photo uploaded to Fox 8 in New Orleans-no small feet.( think it should be on their website but not sure)

Christmas Day- I’ll be shooting the football game they are playing here at Camp Charlie and adding more to blog later-including a video clip if I can pull it off.

images- 2228 th MP company at Camp Charlie, a Christmas tree on a Hesco barrier- on xmass
me at tourist attraction in Bagdad in the Green ZOne , Sadam's Swords- where rallys were held

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:28 AM

    Merry Christmas and be safe. Thanks for your updates and for sharing your impressions from your adventure! Martin/Vienna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:38 AM

    Merry Xmas, Julie the Intrepid! Thanks for your posts. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see the pictures from that football game. Any chance we will see them soon?

    ReplyDelete