Monday, February 02, 2009

iraqi election comes off without a hitch

Iraq's elections went off without any major problems, a great sign for Iraq and its chances of retaining democracy. The religious fundamentalists parties didn’t win any seats. 65% of the voters turned out, way more than I had been told were expected. It was a proud day for Iraq.

I got to join General Muhammad’s entourage, having a chance to walk the streets of Basra without my Kevlar and truly mix it up. There were countless Iraqi Army forces lining the streets to protect the general, streets blocked off along his whole route. We stopped at three different voting stations. People were visibly proud and exuberant while exercising their right to vote. All voters had to dip their finger in purple ink to prevent people from voting twice. Everyone I asked to photograph held up their finger with pride. I felt the same sense of hope from people in Basra during the election as I did in NYC during the presidential election. When I asked about how they felt about Obama I got big smiles and thumbs up too.











1 comment:

  1. Many people want to own an authentic louis vuitton
    . Do you want to get a genuine authentic louis vuitton
    ? I have a few tips and guidelines to show you how to spot a louis vuitton bags
    , if you want to lv handbag
    . But many people like myself want to go treasure hunting and look for louis vuitton handbags
    . Ebay and other online stores have many listing of louis vuitton bags

    ReplyDelete